I chose to do exercise seven in chapter five. It is called
name that muse. There are nine muse’s and they represent the daughters of Zeus
and Mnemosyne. The nine muse’s are; Calliope, Clio, Erato, Euterpe, melpomene,
Polyhymnia, Terpsichore, Thalia, and Urania. The point of this exercise is to
put an image to each name so that you can remember its meaning. At first I had
to think of how I should go with this exercise and this is what I came up with.
Calliope means epic poetry when looking over this word I thought what in this
word will remind me of epic and I thought hey it has the word “Cali” in it so that’s
how I remember that one. Clio means history so i thought of a historical thing
and I came up with Cleopatra which is a very historical name. For Erato which
means love poetry gave me the hard time trying to figure out how I can connect the
word but then I realized that Erato has every letter the word Heart has in it
besides the H so that’s how I memorize that one. Euterpe is definitely that one
word where I just have no image or trick to memorize the meaning of Euterpe is
music. Melpomene means problem as soon as I saw this word I memorized it
because it basically has the word help in it. Polyhymnia was a very quick muse
to remember it means sacred song, so to remember it I thought of polytheism
which means one god so that’s the sacred part and then it has hymn in it which reminds
me of the word rhyme and that’s where I get the song part from. Terpsichore
means choral song this was pretty simple because the first image that came to
mind was chorus which is music. The muse Thalia gave me a difficult time though.
Its meaning is comedy and truthfully I really couldn’t connect this word to
anything. The last of the nine muse’s is possibly the easiest to remember its
Urania meaning astronomy and obviously the first thing you think of when you
hear that name is Uranus the planet. After doing this workout I think it helped
expanded my creative thought process and I deffinetly think it’s a very useful
exercise.Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Twyla Tharpe Exercise
I chose to do exercise seven in chapter five. It is called
name that muse. There are nine muse’s and they represent the daughters of Zeus
and Mnemosyne. The nine muse’s are; Calliope, Clio, Erato, Euterpe, melpomene,
Polyhymnia, Terpsichore, Thalia, and Urania. The point of this exercise is to
put an image to each name so that you can remember its meaning. At first I had
to think of how I should go with this exercise and this is what I came up with.
Calliope means epic poetry when looking over this word I thought what in this
word will remind me of epic and I thought hey it has the word “Cali” in it so that’s
how I remember that one. Clio means history so i thought of a historical thing
and I came up with Cleopatra which is a very historical name. For Erato which
means love poetry gave me the hard time trying to figure out how I can connect the
word but then I realized that Erato has every letter the word Heart has in it
besides the H so that’s how I memorize that one. Euterpe is definitely that one
word where I just have no image or trick to memorize the meaning of Euterpe is
music. Melpomene means problem as soon as I saw this word I memorized it
because it basically has the word help in it. Polyhymnia was a very quick muse
to remember it means sacred song, so to remember it I thought of polytheism
which means one god so that’s the sacred part and then it has hymn in it which reminds
me of the word rhyme and that’s where I get the song part from. Terpsichore
means choral song this was pretty simple because the first image that came to
mind was chorus which is music. The muse Thalia gave me a difficult time though.
Its meaning is comedy and truthfully I really couldn’t connect this word to
anything. The last of the nine muse’s is possibly the easiest to remember its
Urania meaning astronomy and obviously the first thing you think of when you
hear that name is Uranus the planet. After doing this workout I think it helped
expanded my creative thought process and I deffinetly think it’s a very useful
exercise.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment